A few summers ago I went through a major cleansing binge. Well it wasn't that extreme, but Autumn and I did term myself a "Closet Cleanser" since my trainer Comfs told me he'd refuse to train me if I kept cleansing. Opps I guess the secret is out. Hi Comfs :) My first Cleansing experience was BluePrints 3 day juice cleanse. Then I experimented with Organic Avenues LOVE Fast which consisted of fresh juices, a smoothie, raw soup and salad. I first did the recommended 5 days. After that I would cleanse anywhere from a day to 3 whenever I felt a little off. Which for me, tends to be quite often.
I train and box at the gym 5 days a week and on the weekends I love my pilates classes. So a full on juice cleanse for me is just not realistic these days. My diet consists of a lot of animal protein (eggs, salmon, chicken and grass fed steak) well as fresh fruit, vegetables, rice protein and nuts. In the spring and summer I get a lot of variety but lately my diet has been consisting of a lot of the same foods.
A few weeks ago Juice Press opened down the street from my apartment. The new location is a lofty industrial looking space. A perfect backdrop to display their vast variety of raw foods and juices. Naturally with my raging sweet tooth I am drawn towards their breakfasts and desserts. As healthy as they are they are also loaded with calories from nuts and natural sugars from fruits. Which is totally fine when you are eating raw and vegan but may be a little excessive along side my much loved ABC Kitchen trips for Squash toast and heavenly chicken with sunchokes.
I picked up a pamphlet and noticed the balanced meal plans. I loved the idea of a meal plan because it gave me a chance to try all the products I had been lusting for while getting in fresh pressed juices and tons of greens. The menus also seemed like enough food that I wouldnt have to shut out the world and retire to my bed to suffer through the symptoms of detoxing. I chose a quiet weekend when I had no plans.
My weekend menu consisted of...
1. Acai Bowl- a mixture of nuts topped with acai, banana and berry jam.
2. Complete Source Juice- carrot, celery, parsley and spinach
3. Avocado Toast- chewy grainy sprouted bread, spicy "mayo", avocado and tomatoes! whats not to love?!
4. The Meal Juice- spinach, cucumber, celery, carrot, apple and spirulina
5. Dr Green juice- pineapple, apple, lemon, ginger, kale
1. Raw Oatmeal with Berry Jam- chewy oats, sweet creamy cashew/ coconut based cream!
2. Gravity juice- cucmber, celery, kale, lemon, aloe, E3 LIVE- my least favorite of the juices.
3. Kale salad with avocado
4. Dr Green juice- pineapple, apple, lemon, ginger, kale
5. Ravioli- I was kind of dreading this all day because I really wanted to try the lasagna but I had a plan so I was sticking to it! I was pleasantly surprised with the nutty filling that tasted just like pesto! The sauce was also light and savory. A perfect balance! Light but satisfying.
I really loved all the products from the Juice Press. The Acai Bowl and Oatmeal were rich and filling and totally delicious. The juices were all pure and fresh and you could really taste each ingredient. I plan to definitely incorporate more of their juices into my diet. I would love to eat this way for a longer amount of time to really reap the benefits. Though I may wait till the spring when it is not so cold!